4 November (site update)
Added new Developer interview – with Ted Wong developer of iOS apps SmallChess and SmallFish amongst others – again another fascinating interview – many thanks Ted!
16 October (site update)
Added new Developer interview – delighted to be able to upload an interview with Liam Ferris the developer of ChessT
9 October (site update)
Added new Developer interview – the authors of Chess Journal give some detailed responses!
1 October (site update)
Added new Developer interview – with Asim Pereira; some really interesting and in-depth responses – thanks Asim!
11 September (site update)
Added review for My Chess Puzzles (android)
5 September (site update)
Introduced exciting new feature – Developer interviews (see the menu bar item). The intention is to interview a variety of app developers to find out a bit more about their apps and future plans. The guinea pig and first developer to volunteer is the author of Acid Ape Chess. This interview is also uploaded.
3 September (site update)
Updated and refreshed website to make better experience for users – changed theme and revised category and tag descriptions
29 August (site update)
Added review for Acid Ape Chess (android) and also associated developer notes
7 August (site update)
Added short update to Chess Genius (android) review to reflect recent new release of v.3.0.4
27 July (site update)
Added review for AA Chess (iOS)
11 June (site update)
Added general blog post – Chess Apps we’ve loved and lost
2 March (news)
Due to more limited time in the short term, only site updates will be posted on this page. Significant app updates will still be announced on the twitter feed @which_chess_app
20 February (App updates)
Perfect Chess Trainer (v 1.54.0)
– updated to Stockfish 7
– fixed courses list empty in german language
– fixed can’t access PGNs from external SD-card
Senior Chess (v1.80)
– A bug related to memory allocation was fixed.
19 February (App update)
It is now possible to update the positions manually via internet.
15 February (App update)
Analyze this! (v 4.2.1)
//Note: Critter does not work on Android 5.0
☆ Search Board position + Quick game search!
☆ PGN files load faster + Quick scroll
☆ Stockfish 7 (auto download)
☆ Fullscreen option
☆ Change Notation language to English (non figurine), French, Norwegian etc
☆ Many other improvements + bug fixes!
14 February (App update)
Perfect Chess Trainer (v 1.53.2)
– train openings: fixed variation training
12 February (iOS App update)
SmallFish Chess (v 9.4.1)
– Fixed bugs relating to slowness and lagging
PS: I’ve accidentally screwed up the “Load Game” button for iPad. You can still press the loading button. I’ll deliver a fix for it.
6 February (App update)
7 Piece Chess Endgame Training (aka Lomonosov Tablebases)
– Fixed bugs
– Added new piece themes
– Improved Knight marker
31 January (App update)
Chess for Android (v 5.1.5)
– added ability to define opening book for imported UCI/XBoard engine
– cleaned up position set up dialog
– “swipe up” opens alternative menu dialog (avoids problems on devices with no or broken menu button).
30 January (iOS App update)
SmallFish Chess (v 9.4)
– Added Stockfish 7, the engine is about 50 elo stronget than the previous version
– Added individual game deletion. It was accidently removed in the previous release.
Chess (v8.68) – (nb This is the Jereon Carlous app)
– “A few bugfixes.”
28 January (App update)
Napo Chess (v 0.7.8.3)
– Time options in online games.
– Small improvements and bug fixes.
27 January (site update)
Added review for Chess Genius (android)
22 January (App update)
Napo Chess (v 0.7.7.5)
– Some options for choosing how to order the games.
– Support of finger-sweeping gesture to navigate between the list of games.
– Minor graphical improvements.
20 January (App updates)
7 Piece Chess Endgame Training (aka Lomonosov Tablebases)
– Fixed bugs
– Added server status indication
Follow Chess (v 2.1.1)
– Empty Events list bug fixed
– Crash fixes
15 January (App updates)
Droidfish (v 1.61)
– Permission handling for Android 6
– Show usage hints on first start
14 January (site update)
Added review for Napo Chess (android)
12 January (App update)
Chess for Android (v 5.1.2)
– Fixed problem with importing engines on certain devices.
11 January (App update)
Follow Chess (v 2.1)
– Billing issue on some devices
– UI Improvements
– Fixed PGN download issue on Android 6.0+
10 January (site update)
Added Developer page for more specific detailed feedback. Included Napo Chess entry.
8 January (iOS App update)
SmallFish Chess (v 8.2)
– Updated to Stockfish 6
– Added new 20+ pieces and new themes
– Added game preview while loading a game
– The app now remembers your last opened game so you can instantly switch back to the same game
– Added engine customisation, you can now control the internal of the engine
– Updated for iOS 9.0
6 January (App update)
Chess for Android (v 5.1.1)
– Added “Swipe up to open menu
2 January (App update)
Droidfish (v 1.60)
– Updated Stockfish to version 7.
– Faster updating of the move list.
– Improved move list scrolling.
1 January 2016 (App update)
Napo Chess (v 0.7.7.1)
– Support of two-finger pinch-zoom in the 3D board. You can still use the magnifier icon too.
– More games to study. Now the total number of chess games is 910.
– Minor improvements and bug fixes.
26 December (site update)
Added review for Chess Endgames (android)
26 December (App update)
Droidfish (v1.59 fix to new v1.58) – changes:”
– Fixed stockfish startup problem on Android 4.0 and earlier.
– Use a drawer layout instead of the options menu to fix problems on some new devices without a menu button. Swipe from left/right screen edges to open the drawer menus.
– Moved “number of search threads” from preferences to UCI engine options.
– Added configurable button action to change UCI options.
– Updated stockfish to version 231015.”
22 December (site update)
Added review for Tiger Knight Patrol (iOS)
18 December (App update)
Perfect Chess Trainer (v1.50.0) – changes: ”
– UI redesign
– improved opening training: trains all variations within one game
– figurine font
– improved engine output
– improved look and feel of preferences
– fixed a crash on Android 6 when the save file couldn’t be created
– fixed a crash when opening databases from external SD card
– new theme based on material design
– switch themes in settings (and restart app)”
12 December (site update)
Added review for Lomonosov Tablebases (android)
10 December (App update)
Lomonosov Tablebases (v 10 Dec) “Fixed crashes; Added some tasks; Improved tree view in position setup mode; Improved design”
4 December (App update)
Chess (v8.65) – “Improvements in Online play and donation option added” (nb This is the Jereon Carlous app)
4 December (site update)
Added review for Opening Tree (iOS)
3 December (App update)
Chess (v2.362) – “Fixes resign crash bug introduced in last update” (nb This is the AI Factory App)
2 December (App update)
Chess (v2.361) – “Install size reduced” (nb This is the AI Factory App)
29 November (site update)
Added review for Mastersoft Chess (iOS)
25 November (site update)
Added review for Chess Diags (android)
23 November (App update)
Mobilia Chess (v 5.1.1) – “Urgent fix for some crashes in Andriod 6.0. Added the Andriod 6.0 permission management.”
22 November (site update)
Added review for Komodo Chess Legends (iOS)
19 November (site update)
Added review for Senior Chess (android)